When I heard the news about Elizabeth Edwards I was saddened and filled with sorrow. I’m always saddened when I hear about someone passing away whether I know them or not. I usually say a silent prayer asking that they be received with open arms. But with Elizabeth I also felt sorrow and I couldn’t understand why. Then I started thinking, prior to about a year ago I couldn’t have cared less about her. I wasn’t impressed with her and I definitely was unimpressed with her husband. But then that nasty little scandal became public fodder. I remember when I first heard about him cheating and thought, what a pig to put her on blast like that. She was married to him for a long time, was the mother of his children, was going through a troubling medical condition and he can’t keep it in his pants. I felt for her. Then the news came out about the baby, wow, she must be devastated. All of a sudden I cared about her. We were kindred spirits in the world of women and I felt bad about her public humiliation. Her situation touched me even though I have never been placed in that predicament. I just thought….he should have been more discreet. I never became a groupie or anything like that. I didn’t follow her life or read her book. I did see her on Oprah and as she told her story – I felt sorrowful. Which brings me back to her passing, I now understand my sorrow. She was a woman who dedicated a lot of her life to a man, was treated unkindly and in spite of the unfair treatment – she remained a lady. I truly will miss her.
No comments:
Post a Comment